Dreamcast owner

So, today it was the 21st of August.

I only got Shenmue so far, and no memory card. :D

I do have some questions though, it _is_ supposed to sound like that isn't it? It's almost louder than my laptop (louder when it reads the discs). :blink:

And how about the scart cable that comes along (I bought it new), the picture seems really good but in the ad it said it was RF (!?) I get the same kind of picture from my PS2 with RGB, they're equally good that is. So am I just wasting money by getting a RGB-cable, is it a RGB-cable from the get go, or what?

Some time ago I read something about the DC being a bastard of scratching discs, is this correct? I don't really see how since the disc sits really firm, not making any contact when I spin it around manually.

I was flipping through the manual to understand what the extra teleplug (is that even an english word? ;)) was for... but it wasn't mentioned. Anybody have a clue? Seems strange that there would be different telestandards across Europe (that's where I live) but pherhaps it's a French teleplug. :D Btw I'm not talking about the phonecord, I'm talking about a little "box" with connectors on one side and the phone-in-jack on another side. No prints/text.

welcome to the blissful world of the Dreamcast :)

yes, the Dreamcast is really that loud. You'll tune it out eventually.

The DC should scratch discs, but scratched GD-ROMs may have problems more often than normal CDs. Maybe that's what you're confusing it with.

Not sure about the other stuff

Dreamcast kicks a lot of ass. I got it....March 10, 2000, so you probably didn't pay $300 for it like I did. (Dreamcast + Sonic Adventure + VMU + Insane Illinois Sales Tax)

Racket: How is the discs scratched? Isn't there any way to avoid it? (by still playing the games though. ;))

Mountain: Nope, it came cheap. But if it's any comfort I payed more than 300$ for my Saturn (including VF1). ;)

I really hope someone figures out what the extra-included things are, for a moment I got my hopes up that it was a BBA, but it doesn't look like the one from Lik-sang anyway.

If I can get a hold of a digital camera anytime soon I'll take a pic of it, maybe start a new topic (guessing game), or a poll, or a contest. ;)

Where can I get hold of Dreamcast Controllers? Preferably official Sega-made ones.

And what about 50/60hz?, is there the same problems as with the Saturn? Slower, making music and sound effects out of sync with the graphics etc?

since when DC scratch the disc it's playing? :0

I believe the telephone cord is for the modem as don't think anyone will be selling DC with BBA at such low price. :p Have a look at the socket and it should say TEL instead of LAN. If it says LAN you got bloody lucky mate :)

yes it does make noise but IMO no worse than other consoles except the current next-gen

for RGB cable well there are many titles simply won't work with it just like VGA box issue. For strange reason apparently a titles won't work on VGA box will work on RGB and vice versa from what heard...

welcome to the club mate

cheers

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 22, 2004 @ 06:34 AM

The DC should scratch discs, but scratched GD-ROMs may have problems more often than normal CDs

Going by the way the sentence is written (and my own experiences with Dreamcasts) I think racket meant to say 'shouldn't scratch discs'.

Thanks for the replies and cheers, and for sorting out my missunderstanding about the scratching of discs.

The store was out of Dreamcasts when I checked it today, one week after my purchase. :)

The thing is it doesn't say anything, it's coloured creamwhite (does not go with the console), so it's not an original "what ever it is". Has a strange connector totally different from the ones seen on the modem adapter and BBA. I'm gona mail the store where I bought it, but since they can't tell the difference from an RF-unit and a Scart/RGB-cable I had hopes that someone here would know. :)

Since I found a place that sells Dreamcast controllers, I only have one question left... what about playing NTSC-games on a PAL machine, of vice versa, does music and graphic get out of sync, just like it does on Saturn?

NTSC games on a PAL console will only run at 60hz. So hopefully your tv is able to handle that. Most PAL DC games have a 60/50 hz option but NTSC will run ONLY at 60hz.

Maybe the compatiblity problem isn't an issue these days because modern TVs are multi format in nature. So you should be able to play NTSC games on a PAL console if you have a multi format TV. I remember seeing this on a site selling retro games. Opinions?

The DC is different from SS, DC can even display in color using the RF cable NTSC games, so you don´t even have to worry about if you TV is multi-norma, 99,9% of all TVs in EU are, they accept both 60Hz and NTSC,

You can play imports using a boot disc or modchip your DC, NTSC games on PAL console will play in 50Hz. Or buy a US DC they´re so cheap down there.

As dj898 mentioned earlier, the RGB and VGA-boxes won't display at all/properly with some games. But with an S-Video-cable I can avoid all of these problems..?

Back