Dreamcast GD-Rom

Hi peeps,

Well my backup DC (which happens also to be newest) is playing up on me again. :damn:

Whenever I place a game in the drive nothing seems to happen, on closer inspection the unit spins the disk, laser bobs up and down for a sec then it seems to lose power and stops spinning. I happens with all disks wiether Orignal EU, US, homebrew or Music CD's. I switched the drives from two DC's around and also deduced that it is only a drive problem as DC will play with other drive from other DC.

Doe anyone know whats happening?

Is it simple to repair?

If need be do I have to buy another GD-Rom drive? If so where would I find one?

Please don't say my DC is screwed, lol <_<

Any help would be gladly appreciated

Eh, the DC is almost worse than the PS1 at this point (in terms of failure rate).

One thing that might help is pressing Start twice to bypass the DC logo at startup...

You can always ask over at DC Emulation, but they're likely to determine that your GD-ROM motor is dying. I suppose its possible to replace the motor, but with what and from where? Your alternatives are getting a new DC, or tracking down a new GD-ROM (which are expensive). It IS possible that the unit may simply be getting stuck, and cleaning/lubricating it might help. Try forcing the laser to advance a "click" or two. It might also be possible that the plastic gears are slightly mangled. Again, the DCE Hardware section has some competent DC users, but there's a good chance that your motor is just dying.

I personally have had no trouble with my DC, and they are not all made equally. Particularly the GD-ROM units.

Hmm... I've got about 5 or 6 spare DC lasers lol, all my DC's motherboards kept dying (PowerVR chip frying), and I only now have what seems to be a stable one. I'm told it's a common problem on PAL DC's, maybe I should invest in an American one...

But to be honest, buying as new DC would most likely be cheaper than the postage for me to send you the thing...

Pure curiosity, does anything actually appear on-screen?

Yes, The DC Os thingy loads up as usual, when I close the disk drive it comes up with the ol' checking disk thingy, but then DOES NOT do the auto boot.

I'm interested though, how much would you sell a spare drive? I'm guessing cause you have a PAL DC that your in the UK? Same 'ere so P&P should not be much.

Well provided I can think of a way of actually sending it without damaging it, I'd say about a tenner, but the postage is included in that price.

If it comes to having to send via courier then it'll obviously be more, but hopefully I can send it via my dad's work (he works in a university).

What make is your current DC laser? I've got a few different ones (Yamaha, Samsung etc...), and while my tests show they can be swap and changed, I'd still probably best send the same one you got, to be on the safe side.

My gamestops still have some DC's left....

1 controller, the DC system, modem, power cord, and Some form of a TV hook up will set you back.

at 2 stores near me:

$19.99 - 30% discount = $14.00

or one store near me:

$19.99 - 50% discount = $9.99

not bad prices....as for salvaging yours, try the usual steps gently clean lense with cuetip....spray the whole unit with compressed air....move the GD-Rom chasis manually by turning the gears back and fourth a few times, hey it's done the trick for me a few times!! :lol:

well it seems the unit is dead :( tried everything and it does the same ol' thing.

Unfourutly it mounts up buying a dc 'ere. Because I'm in BF Cyprus i can either oder things online or have a looked around the local towns, ebay have them around £20 not inc p&p, and I could get one for $20 dollars of ebgames (can send to CY instead of UK), but its like £20-30 P&P!!! And after looking around I can't seem to find a shop 'ere that sells second hand dc consoles.

Therefore a tenner sounds very good Shakey Jake, the drive is a Samsung, perhaps I could buy two? also do you have a controller board i may buy?

Back