Arcade Ports Poll

How many continues should one get

• Unlimited - True to arcades (as long as you had the money)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Set number - Console game style

• Both - Option to switch somewhere

• Total voters
Amon said:
What are your thoughts?

In what context, exactly? Since you said port, I'd have to assume you mean for sale to consumers.

With that in mind, I'm in favor of an options menu. "Arcade Mode" that's true to the original, and other modes that are easier on the non-hardcore.

Obviously it's going to depend on how much effort is put into it, if it's just the game in an emulation wrapper, or what.

Yes by port i mean sale to consumers on consoles for example games in Taito legends such as Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble or games like Golden Axe etc etc etc

I think it depends on the style of game. For some, it's customary to go as far as possible on one credit, perhaps even beating the game (e.g. puzzle games, shooters); on others you're pretty much expected to credit-feed to progress (e.g. many beat-em-ups).

The system used by the Dreamcast port of Ikaruga is interesting; you "earn" more credits by playing more.

I seem to remember some random game that I can't think of the name of using an interesting method.

Easy had unlimited continues, but only a certain portion of the game. In order to play through the entire game, you had limited continues. I don't recall if this was an arcade port or not, but I don't see why a similar method couldn't be adapted for that purpose.

IIRC Toejam and Earl 2 was like that, unlimited continues on easy but you can not finish the game.

Back