anyone else own the japanese GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, but when you consider the simplicity of nintendo's other systems when it came to modding, it's more surprising that you have to actually open up the system. :)

speaking of opening up the system...the gamebit i have is the 3.8mm which is too small for the system, so i've got the 4.5mm on order meaning i'll have to wait until next week to mod.

check out this mod that someone else did:

Kites_Bilingual_GC.jpg

Well, I was expecting Nintendo to be in Insane Industry Control Mode, since they're using a semi-custom disc medium now. I guess they probably use a scheme similar to the one Sega used for SCD, Saturn, and Dreamcast now, although I'm not sure it's well-established that the courts will back that sort of scheme up... maybe they just patented the disc format or something.

As for that switch mod, that looks awesome, aside from it being on the back of the case. What's the use of it looking good and having a spiffy label if you're just going to reach around the system to use it anyway?

As for that switch mod, that looks awesome, aside from it being on the back of the case. What's the use of it looking good and having a spiffy label if you're just going to reach around the system to use it anyway?

it's stealth!

the first thing that stands out is the aesthetics of it...it looks nice, but i'd rather have the switch hidden especially since it probably wouldn't be used all that often. i was talking to someone last night that wants to build the switch in the mem2 slot so that when there's a card in the slot, it's in jap mode but when there's no card in the slot, it's US.

You might also want to have it hidden because it's probably illegal, but that's a whole other can of worms :).

Anyway, my guess is that the US units will be slightly harder to mod since a surface-mount resistor will probably have to be removed before soldering the switch. The fact that a switch is even possible strongly suggests that the hardware of the U.S. version will be nearly identical to the Japanese version, so I think the mod will happen for U.S. units unless they pop in a "crippled" BIOS somehow (assuming it can even be readily swapped; it might be integrated into the Flipper)...

yeah...

rumor is only a resistor will have to be removed in order to mod the US systems.

as for it being illegal, i think hiding the button's prolly only really useful for reselling...unless nintendo starts sending out people under the guise of census takers to sneak a peek at everyone's units (ahem).

i picked up a red button today from the shack that's identical to the one in the pic above, so i think i'll go ahead and mod with that...now if only NCS would send my bit out. a trip to home depot this evening might be inevitable.

Regarding US systems, the launch units should be safe from any extra security that Nintendo might come up with to try to discourage doing the mod. It's too late to do anything with those units.

CrowTRobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back