Anybody still play ddr?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
If so what system do you play it on. Just curious.

Me, I play stepmania on the xbox with a cheap $20 mad catz pad.

I used to play a lot (Every Thursday used to be "DDR Night" and I'd play for hours), but I hardly play anymore (maybe once a week or so), but I mainly play StepMania, although I prefer the game center more.

I wish I could go to the game center more often.

:(

00350441.jpg

haha my ddr 'team' the Icy Hot Gladiators.

About a year ago I added a team division to the tournaments I ran. This inspired a frenzy of players to form groups of 3 or 4 people. The original DDR team around here was called C-Men, and was led by me and a friend, we actually sported about 20 people. Now we've formed smaller teams, hence "Icy Hot Gladiators'.

I hate DDR. I have nothing against people that play it, but the game itself to me is ridiculous. Also, I believe it is a lesser, secondary reason Arcades are dying out in the US.

I once went to an Arcade that had 6 DDR machines... SIX OF THEM. Anyone playing them? Nope. Saturday night, myself, and a few other people were trying to play a rarely cleaned, broken, green screened version of Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. NO ONE ELSE in the arcade.

Arcade Owner: "Yeah! Lets buy SIX hulking massive machines that cost about 4000 a pop, and set them to $1.50 or so PER GAME.. that will bring in TONS of money."

I hate DDR. Do a search online for Arcades in Austin Tx.. you might... MIGHT come up with 3, unless two more have closed.. It's been a while since I've gone back.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:35 PM

haha my ddr 'team' the Icy Hot Gladiators.

[post=123216]Quoted post[/post]​

Why is the tall guy wearing a skirt?

I play ddr almost every day wheather it be at the arcade or at home. How do you think I stay so damned sexy?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mon, 2004-11-08 @ 10:46 PM

I play ddr almost every day wheather it be at the arcade or at home.  How do you think I stay so damned sexy?

[post=123229]Quoted post[/post]​

You just had to whip out the self centered talk didn't you?

:lol:

I used to play a lot, but now I rarely play, and only at the Game Center. The consumer experience is not worth it, and it does not compare to the actual AC experience at all.

Regarding teams... I was never a scorer, more of a freestyler, I like the game because I enjoy the music and love to dance. The only teams I was part of was when performing some "scripted" choreography with acrobatics and everything. Good exercise, I like it very much.

I also played a lot of Anda-Miro's Pump it Up, and Amuse World's EZ2Dancer, which is a mix between DDR and Para Para Paradise (another dancing game I used to play a lot).

I still have to try TechnoMotion, never played that one...

To know you like the game or not, you have to at least try it, and if you don't like it after playing it, it is because -

- You cannot dance/coordinate

- You are too shy

- You are obese

Simple.

or someone could hate the music (I am a fan of some of it...most is god-awfule though). Also, you could be a very genre-centered person, ie: only likes 2d fighters.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:12 PM

or someone could hate the music (I am a fan of some of it...most is god-awfule though). Also, you could be a very genre-centered person, ie: only likes 2d fighters.

Well, considering that there is an incredible amount of different dancing games with different hundreds of songs each, chances are you will at least like one of these games/series.

And... we all have a genre we like the most and play the most, but playing only THAT genre? I have never met a person like that ever.

1. They are gym shorts, I assure you this man wears no skirts, he is in training to be a preacher. :p

2. Para para is fucking fun.

3. No, your reasons for disliking ddr/dancing games are wrong, there are people who simply don't enjoy them, it's a fact of life that not everyone will like stuff like ddr.

4. Yes, I hate the music, I despise every song on ddr and para para with a passion. Whoever invented eurobeat should fucking die, stupid japanese, bad japanese, no more music for you. Although I really do enjoy some of pump's music. I wish I could find actual releases from bands like Banya.

5. DDR has like 40 remixes of the same damn song, and thats part of the reason it's dying. Seriously, who needs 6 paranoia's on one machine? (original, rebirth, evolution, dirty mix, kcet, survivor, survivor max) my bad, 7.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>4. Yes, I hate the music, I despise every song on ddr and para para with a passion. Whoever invented eurobeat should fucking die, stupid japanese, bad japanese, no more music for you. Although I really do enjoy some of pump's music. I wish I could find actual releases from bands like Banya.

[/b]

Eurobeat started in Italy, Europe, and not Japan.

Haha, I believe Banya is actually a PIU-only "band". Anyway, one of PIU's nice things is that the songs sound more like actual bands, and some really are from actual bands like Seo-Taiji, Duke, etc.

<!--QuoteBegin-SkankinMonkey
@Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:28 PM

5. DDR has like 40 remixes of the same damn song, and thats part of the reason it's dying. Seriously, who needs 6 paranoia's on one machine? (original, rebirth, evolution, dirty mix, kcet, survivor, survivor max) my bad, 7.

[/quote]

Not really, it is dying because people are getting bored of the same BEMANI releases over and over, the whole BEMANI series is dying... the only ones that stand-out a bit nowadays are the popular beatmania IIDX and the Pop'n Music series.

No, Eurobeat is something some idiot in Japan dreamed up. They then assigned the tag Eurobeat to it, because OF COURSE ITS IN ENGRISH AND THATS WHAT ALL EUROPEANS LISTEN TO.

Banya is actually a band though, they tour and play a bunch of places, my friend has pictures with them, if I can dig them up I'll post them.

And well, in the US we don't really get anything other than DDR. Some beatmania, but not much. I'm sure if Konami were to realease a real DDR mix in america (please god, please don't bring up ddr usa, the worst mix EVAR) it would do great. I realize DDR is dead in Japan, but it's starting to peak in America so I see no legitimate reason to ignore it.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Tue, 2004-11-09 @ 02:42 PM

No, Eurobeat is something some idiot in Japan dreamed up. They then assigned the tag Eurobeat to it, because OF COURSE ITS IN ENGRISH AND THATS WHAT ALL EUROPEANS LISTEN TO.

Not at all. Eurobeat was created in the early 80's, in Italy, it was called Italo-Disco. Some years later it became as popular as it is in Japan.

Oh, and the most important Eurobeat artist are European as well.

Examples -

Dave Rodgers (Giancarlo Pasquini) - Composed many of the Initial D songs.

Franz Tornado & Bazooka Girl (Federico Rimonti & Cristiana Cucchi) - Creators of hits such as Bandolero Comanchero and Velfarre 2000.

NIKO - Composer of Speedway, Night of Fire, and other Initial D songs.

In other words, you are wrong.

I'm not so much a fan of the <insert favorite subgenre of hyper-repetetive "dance music" here> myself. If there was a rock-only DDR instead of the 2 token rock songs in each mix, I'd be all over it though.

Back