AIM

Well here at my school they have kindly disabled anyway to use aol instant messanger.. except for that aim express but that just sucks. So i was wondering if i can just install aim to a zip disk and run it from there.. I figured id see if anyone else has tried this. Well thanx in advance

Probably not. Most Windows apps want to mess with the Registry in one way or another, so in effect there's a part that always gets installed to the system drive.

Get Trillian from www.ceruleanstudios.com (or alternatively, www.trillian.cc). It has full support for AIM including direct connections, file transfer, emoticons etc... and the best part? It uses INI files only, no Registry entries...straight install into a program dir, no system files...

Yea, try trillian, I've heard good things about it. Anything one you could try is Jabber. I think it supports alot of different services (www.jabber.org). But if your school administrators were smart, they probably blocked the instant messenger ports. So even if you got something to run on disk, you might not be able to connect to the AIM servers. I guess it depends on how your school network is set up. You might as well try and see what happens.

i don't think port blockage would be a problem unless you're attending a hard assed, respectible college.

grade-high school, admin too stupid

junior college, admin too lazy and enjoys observing all the loopholes people find in the security

my computer teacher will break your balls if you find a loop. partly because he's too stupid to notice it and partly because he's an asshole.

Thanx Taelon, trillian works fine at school. I have it running off of a cd right now. hehe ah its great to find loop holes in the system. Well thanx for the help

Hee hee hee. Hand it to Cerulean Studios to help us subvert the big guys' operations. Other than Microsoft and AOL. :)

Back