a question about dual channel ddr

When I re-built my pc recently I put in a 512mb Patriot pc3200 ddr. To activate the dual channel system, can I just put in another stick that's the same model, or do i need to get a pair that were specifically designed for it?

same model is best. Another piece should work though. I'd get the same stick if you could....if not, then just get the best ya can.

Actually you can just use whatever RAM is fast enough to handle the timings you want to use, with a few exceptions - I don't believe you can mix ECC and non-ECC, and also certain sticks may just plain not work depending on your chipset. But generally you can use whatever sticks you want. I have a stick of Kingston and one Crucial in my Nforce2 system, and it works fine in dual channel mode.

Also note that you'll get better performance if you set the RAM to operate at the same speed as your FSB. For example, I have two sticks of PC3200 in my box but I run them at 333 because that's what the FSB is set at and actually gives better performance than running the RAM at 400 would.

I was just looking at Newegg, and I found one with the same model # as the one I already have for only $36. Well, I'm never gonna shop at CompRen ever again, they charge $130 for the exact same model.

Back