Originally posted by Wine HQ Front Page

Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

Now, if you happen to actually be running it on a SPARC, you might have trouble finding suitably compiled Windows apps. ;)

Hmm; I stand corrected, although I doubt the DirectX part works very well (if at all) under Solaris... especially considering I've only gotten a couple of DX games (WC3 and GTA3.. and I guess Fallout if you wanna count that) to run very well under LInux. Although most OpenGL stuff works great (WC3 works much better in OGL mode as well).

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 4, 2004 @ 06:40 PM

I suppose you could argue, however, that since they depend heavily on Win32 functions and data types, it would be more appropriate to say that they are extensions to Win32 rather than being APIs themselves. Is that what you meant to begin with? :p

Where's my DirectX API for Solaris?

Try here. :devil

Yes... that IS what I meant - because a true API should be usable by all platforms. That's what an API is for, darnit... but DirectX contains the stipulation that Windows has to be in there somewhere, along with an x86 processor.

OpenGL works great on a SPARCstation running Solaris. OpenGL is the only true graphics API... technically.

Realistically speaking, though, I don't care at all :lol: Actually I prefer running DirectX, since ATi's D3D driver is better than their OGL one.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@May 10, 2004 @ 08:54 PM

It is a type of memory/ram. Double Density RAM or something like that.

DDR (double data rate) refers to the method they use to effectively double the bandwidth over SDR (single data rate) memory. It transfers twice per clock, so 133Mhz SDR has half the bandwidth of 133Mhz DDR. To cause extra confusion, 133Mhz DDR would be referred to typically in marketing speak as DDR266, which is what my current box uses (although with fairly fast timings). DDR400 for example, only actually runs at 200Mhz.

About graphics memory, most cards on the market today use GDDR1 (G standing for graphics). These modules are expensive, but are often able to achieve (especially newer BGA stuff) higher speeds than the DDR DIMMs used in most PCs as main memory. When you see a GPU listed as having "600 Mhz" memory, it probably has 300Mhz DDR (again, marketing speak). Over the next couple of years, DDR2 will start being used in PCs for RAM, but graphics card manufacturers need lots of speed now - which is one reason why they've started to use GDDR3. It uses less voltage and is often able to achieve some killer speeds, as seen with cards like the 6800 Ultra.

sweet Alex, u answered my question perfectly. I know what DDR was, just didn't know what the 3 was there for, but thanks for clearin that up, appreciate it :).

Back