Xbox Question

Ratamahatta

Established Member
Ok heres the deal, I want to get a broken xbox and try to repair it up, the question is what does the flashing red eject button mean, its the power led, but flashing red means a problem, would that be mainboard, hd or what?

well, I think it flashes red if u dont have a video cable hooked into it but I can't remember correctly. What does the screen say? should give you an error....

I have all the error codes here sumwhere.....lemme look for yas.

No, orange means no A/V cable.

Red means there is something else internal, but unfortunately, I don't know what.

I know it happened once to a guy I know that modded his Xbox, and he did it wrong, so it came up red.. then he resoldered it, and it worked fine.

If it tries to boot three times and then flashes red/green (rather than red/off, you didn't say which), it means that the BIOS isn't running. 99% of the time this means it's the victim of a botched mod attempt, which is usually recoverable with a bit of diagnostic effort.

It could also mean the hard drive has unlocked itself, which is repairable by modding hte xbox and relockin gthe hard drive, I think that happened to someone else here.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jan 5, 2004 @ 01:23 PM

It could also mean the hard drive has unlocked itself, which is repairable by modding hte xbox and relockin gthe hard drive, I think that happened to someone else here.

Yeah, that happen to me! :lol: Modded it, and now it works fine. However i really screwed up the original dashboard and can't access it. But i Still go EvoX on it.

Its on an ebay auction, basically from what the auction says, the machine just flashes red. Nothign else really happens. Is this becasue someone messed up a mod attempt?

it could be, go look in the exhumed game of the week thread, for some reason bjammzz posted something there he meant to come here.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:43 PM

here is the flashing light BS:

GREEN/RED Flashing:

Probably a bad chip or bad image.

SOLID GREEN/No EJECT/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:

Probably a bad solder point. Check all your points again.

It could also be a heat problem , make sure your fan is connected and don't put your xbox near heat sources. You can also try to open the top of the xbox and check if it goes better.

SOLID GREEN/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:

This is probably a problems with your audio settings. Try to boot your xbox with a standard a/v pack instead of a HD pack.

ORANGE/GREEN Flashing:

No AUDIO/VIDEO (A/V) pack.

This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track.

ORANGE Flashing:

This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track. May also be due overheating.

SOLID RED:

System overheated , hardware failure , ...

Here are the error codes....

Code Who sets it - Description

0 - any - No error (duh)

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard

2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed

3 - bootldr - ??/not used

4 - bootldr - Ram check failed

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

8 - kernel - No HDD found

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

11 - kernel - No DVD Founnd

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

15 - - ??/not used

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)

17 - - ??/not used

18 - - ??/not used

19 - - ??/not used

20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication

21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

In closing:

21 was the highest number I could find, I dont think anynthing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find anyreference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.

I can't move an individual post, but I can do this. :)

damn, musta put it in the wrong window (had a couple open). I was about to reply and state "hey! where did my post go!?" haha thanks guys :). lemme go edit that post...haha

Back