What exactly will the new consoles bring?

I don't know, The Behemoth (Alien Hominid - not that those graphics are hand-pixelled, exactly, but close enough) seem to have done pretty well and are set to release another game eventually. Cave and Treasure are both rather small companies, as well. The Nippon Ichi games seem to have a pretty good following too. Darwinia for the PC (3d graphics, small company) also got some excellent reviews on mainstream sites recently.

I think both small developers and 2d graphics have a place in gaming's future- the developers because well-designed gameplay will always be sought after by some people, and the graphics because for certain genres like fighting or shooting they're just the best way of presenting the game.

It's not so much that small independent developers don't exist, it's that I rarely see new ones form, and when they do it seems like almost all of them are partial reincarnations or splinters of previously established developers.

As for PC, that's basically a free-for-all. Anyone can sell a PC game, and the only thing you really need to develop one is a PC. The market dynamics are quite different and as a result there are many, many small developers. You only "need" a publisher if you want to get into Wal-Mart and the like, and even that is arguably easier in the PC industry than with consoles. I guess things might be better off if it was easier to make the PC -> console leap, but as far as I can tell it looks like that's mostly limited to the ultra-hyped titles from id, Epic et. al.

First off, good lookin HD 2d game = Zelda 4 Swords for GCN.

second, have you guys heard the news? TV's w/ 1080i = NOT TRUE HD! No no, they have a new thing comming out, 1080p. And all the old stuff isn't true HD they say. Good news the new base-models of tvs are commin w/ 720p :). Seems my yr old Sony is out of date....

HA... I was wondering why they were waiting so long to come out with the 1080p. I mean yeah it would cost a lot for broadcasting it, but movies and the sort could easily take advantage of it.

I also hear the Sony commercial for that yesterday while I was going down to "Crazy Cubans" for a sandwich. all you need is 4000 dollars! OH YEAH!

Christ, just get yourself a big screen computer monitor like the one here at my office. This thing is a 40 some odd inch LCD screen, the thing is insane and CRISP 1920X1080 resolution already. It's atleast 2 years old (as it was here when I started) and cost them 3500 dollars. Hrmmm...

Back