VGA and DVI

I recently got a new LCD monitor and it has connections for both VGA and DVI but my vid card only has VGA so thats how its hooked up.

I can get a free radeon 7000 with 32mb of SDR ram for free that has the DVI out or I can continue using my Radeon 9000 with 64mb of DDR ram with the VGA.

So my question is, would it be worth it to downgrade the video card to use DVI? Would it notice a difference? I assume if the cards were nearly the same then going with DVI would be the best bet but I dont know if I can justify downgrading the card for a digital signal.

Well... first I'd check if your monitor is truly full digital (some take the DVI, but either use the analog pins OR convert to analog and back to digital at the LCD display point)

If it is true digital, you may see better picture clarity over the 7000... as long as you aren't using graphic intensive things. from the looks of your card I don't think your playing much for vid games on it.

The thing is personally I don't feel the upgrade in quality is that significant...

So I leave it up to others to do some more convincing either way, I'd go more in depth, but i'm REALLY tired right now.

I don't think you'll notice any difference at all. I've used both on some pretty nice monitors, and have never been able to notice the difference.

From what I understood CRT is best with analog because the tube needs an analog signal to display the pixels where as LCD converts the analog to digital before displaying.

My monitor is a 19in Samsung Sync Master 940B

I very pleased with the display, aside from the resolution change its almost identical to my 17in CRT

Ill probably just stick with the VGA until I get a new video card that has DVI.

I'm typing this on a dual display machine with identical monitors. One monitor is hooked up via DVI and the other is hooked up via VGA. I can't tell you which one is which as both displays look identical to me.

And excellent choice on the Samsungs, we have some in the lab and they are simply amazing.

Back