The King of Fighters 2001

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
This was the first game released after SNK went bankrupt and then revived. How did you like this game? Did it feel unique compared to the other KoF games released for the DC? Post your voice. :)

Unique King of Fighters game.

Terrible backgrounds, incredibly horrible music, but the system was extremely good, the striker system was fair, and being able to select from 1 to 4 characters to fight was really nice.

A unique game, in a good and a bad way.

Really worth purchasing.

I think that i have talked about this before with Des-Row but i really think that KOF2K1 is the worst in the series. The backgrounds and music were crap (as mentioned) and i couldn't get into the gameplay at all. I own it on the DC so that doesnt help as the controller is fairly stiff to begin with. Was this the only one that Eolith did or have i got it confused with another developer?

Pretty decent installment. Not a big fan of the art style, and the BGs are lame, but I like the character roster on this one. My KOF2k1 team = Vanessa, K9999, and Angel. The controls for this one are definitely better than 2000 on the DC.

I didn't really like the whole ratio-type thing that much, it felt like they were just ripping of Capcom vs SNK - and the system didn't work very well in that game (although it was improved in KOF, definitely).

And Berty, Eolith was also responsible for 2k2.

To be honest, I haven't seen too many KOF backgrounds that I didn't think were lame. And all of the KOF music is forgettable because, well I can't even remember any.

SNK has good character design though.

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 7, 2004 @ 01:18 PM

To be honest, I haven't seen too many KOF backgrounds that I didn't think were lame. And all of the KOF music is forgettable because, well I can't even remember any.

That is probably because -

1. You have not played enough King of Fighters

2. You have not seen all the King of Fighters' backgrounds

3. You have not listened to all the King of Fighters' music.

I probably haven't seen/heard EVERY background and song, but I've seen/heard a lot. There's probably only one or two games from the series that I haven't played, but I've played a decent amount.

Let me put it this way... I remember playing numerous Capcom fighters and thinking, "Hey that background is cool" or "Hey I like this music".

On the KOF series I don't remember anything like that. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not great. They are forgettable.

FF MOTW on the other hand is better...

The thing that made 2k1's backgrounds weak was the fact that they were very static compared to games like '98. As for the music, well, it had some remixes of previous tunes, but they weren't too good and the quality was low. And there was no arrange version either IIRC.

Back