Sony's Portable

Sony's Portable

Originally posted by Alexvrb+May 31, 2004 @ 02:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexvrb @ May 31, 2004 @ 02:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud@May 31, 2004 @ 05:58 AM

Personally, I could do w/o portable videogames altogether. I'm hardly ever away from a game console, and when I am, my hands aren't holding a Gameboy--if you know what I mean. :yum

Too much of that and you'll go blind! [/b][/quote]

:huh What you SAY!?

Sony's Portable

Yes Beta/DAT/Mini Disc all have had moderate success, just not the overwhelming success they wanted. In electronics, you want your device to be the standard. Then you pay no royalties. Every PC/music comapny pays royaltites to Sony and another company. They both own the patent for CD Rom technology. Thats also the reason why there are 2 DVD R/RW standards. Each was developed by a different company. There is big money to be made in licensing your technology.

Sony's Portable

That sounds about right. The funny thing is 3M originally held the patent. They sold it to Sony in exchange for never having to pay royalties.

Sony's Portable

3M?

It was Sony and Philips that developed the Compact Disc standard. What have 3M got to do with it?

Sony's Portable

Originally posted by mountaindud+May 31, 2004 @ 05:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mountaindud @ May 31, 2004 @ 05:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 31, 2004 @ 02:14 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@May 31, 2004 @ 05:58 AM

Personally, I could do w/o portable videogames altogether. I'm hardly ever away from a game console, and when I am, my hands aren't holding a Gameboy--if you know what I mean.  :yum

Too much of that and you'll go blind!

:huh What you SAY!? [/b][/quote]

Sorry mountaindud, what I should have said (to make things more obvious), is that you shouldn't pound the penguin too much.

it290: Standards don't have to apply to consoles, but what about movies? We are talking about the release of movies on UMD... you'd have to play them on the PSP or get another unit capable of playing UMDs. So.... I'll stick with DVDs for movies. I obviously don't have an issue with UMDs for PSP games.

Sony's Portable

Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 31, 2004 @ 07:40 PM

Sorry mountaindud, what I should have said (to make things more obvious), is that you shouldn't pound the penguin too much.

That's actually pretty good advice, but not quite what I was hinting towards. You can do that and play a videogame at the same time. ;)

Sony's Portable

Originally posted by mountaindud+Jun 1, 2004 @ 12:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mountaindud @ Jun 1, 2004 @ 12:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@May 31, 2004 @ 07:40 PM

That's actually pretty good advice, but not quite what I was hinting towards. You can do that and play a videogame at the same time. ;) [/b][/quote]

Really? Usually that results in pretty poor performance.

Sony's Portable

3M did the development work on CD-Rom technology and sold it to Sony in exchange for exemption from royalties. My father-in-law worked there in the 70's on the project. He worked there until the split into Imation. Its pretty cool, he has all these patents for various things hes worked on.

Sony's Portable

Standards don't have to apply to consoles, but what about movies? We are talking about the release of movies on UMD... you'd have to play them on the PSP or get another unit capable of playing UMDs. So.... I'll stick with DVDs for movies. I obviously don't have an issue with UMDs for PSP games.

Yeah, but I'm sure they're not trying to compete with DVDs. They're trying to create a niche market for this kind of thing, just as Nintendo is trying to do in the kiddy sector (they have that GBA video crap coming out). I think it's pretty lame, but eh, whatever. Personally I'd rather have an iPod-type device w/upgradable firmware that is capable of playing back various video formats. I know there are a few similar machines out there, but they're all kind of lame so far.

Back