Ram troubles

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
So I bought a 1gig strip of pqi ram (yeah yeah, I know, I should be using crucial or samsung). It's ddr333 and it's got a cas latency of 2.5 (that's why I bought it, cause it was lower latency than most of the 1 gig ddr333 ram on newegg). I go to put it in my main pc (which only has 2 slots that accept unbuffered memory, which this is).

I replace my 512 strip with the 1024 strip and it comes up with some weird error message saying the bios is corrupt and to insert a floppy with an os on it.

Okay, so I figure the ram is toast and test it in another machine, works fine. I go back to my computer try it again, same deal. So I test it in the next slot that accepts unbuffered, same thing.

At this point I get upset, try it in a registered slot, and it does the beep code for no ram found. So I put it back in an unbuffered slot, and put my 512 stick in the other slot. And it reads the 512 and ignores the 1024. So I swap the 2, same deal again. Getting really annoyed, I put the 1024 strip into one of the registered slots and the 512 in an unbuffered and now it's reading I have a 256 strip in instead of either lol!

So I pulled the ram out, flashed my bios to the newest revision, put the ram back in, no changes.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do to get this to work? I was going to replace my 512 strip and use that in another pc, but now it's looking like I won't be able to do that =/ *grumble*

Sounds like the motherboard is incompatible with it. I used to like putting the Nforce 2 boards in my clients computers but when I found out some odd things were happening to them I discovered that only certain brands and of those brands certain models only worked on the Nforce 2 chipset. Really annoyed me.

Thats probably whats happening to you.

I just spent a couple of days nearly pulling my hair out trying to boot a newly built Abit NF7-S based system. It was the damn Corsair RAM that wouldn't play nicely.

It ran memtest x86 fine but would cause all sorts of problem when trying to install windows. :damn:

yeah, I can't even get it to post. The fact that the ram is not compatible wouldn't bother me so much if they just had a list of ram they won't take. =/ I'm out $150 now, and I'm hesitant to buy more ram knowing that I might be out another $150.

Well that doesn't include any of the pc2700 ram like I need to go with my 2800+ cpus. I might just buy some crucial, cause I'm sure that will work.

It's listed as supported on the site, I checked. If you think kingston or mushkin is more likely to work (they're both listed as should work also, though I believe they're a bit more expensive) then it's probably worth spending the extra cash and getting one of them. My current 512 strip is some generic brand that I can't even remember the name of.

Back