• Rise from your gwave!

Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Discussion in 'Saturn Dev' started by vbt, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Joref

Joref New Member

I tried both things, and some properties changed, like how it loaded the Saturn Menu loaded when I lifted it slightly... But still, no Pseudo Saturn...

2. Does the Saturn boot up fine without the cartridge in it? IE without pseudo Saturn.

3. Joref

Joref New Member

Yes, it does.

4. Odd, are you able to try and reflash it using the swap trick? See my video tutorial here (warning its long, feel free to skip what you don't need to see, its completely noob friendly):

vbt likes this.
  5. linkoiram

linkoiram New Member

I am stuck at the "reading from Cd Rom" after doing the swap trick. I flashed the current sdm to a cdr and got into the menu, but it times out reading any of the firmwares in the firmware flasher screen.

Attached Files:

6. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Please give another try with pskai_alternate_flasher.iso, located in Pseudo Saturn Kai latest archive.
    Save Data Manager may sometimes cause problems with swap trick, while pskai_alternate_flasher.iso gives better results.
    (This issue is a a bit detailed in my blog)

Even if swap trick doesn't works, please keep Save Data Manager CD-R so that you will be able to import pre-recorded game save data from it after installing Pseudo Saturn Kai ;)

7. linkoiram

linkoiram New Member

Thanks, eventually I did get it to work, the alternate flasher didn't do the trick though.

Now i'm having trouble with a specific game, cotton 2. The compatibility chart says it is compatible but whenever I test with jhl it gets stuck at reading disk data. I have a model 1 grey Japanese grey saturn so cwx never works for me. Is it a game that only works with cwx loader or some other problem. I've tried different rips of the game and also different Cd burns

8. linkoiram

linkoiram New Member

I see the post on your blog about something similar happening. I'll test it with the self test when I get home so cwx loader will be fixed if that is the problem.
    http://ppcenter.webou.net/devblog/a...working-on-action-replay-and-its-rebirth.html

9. linkoiram

linkoiram New Member

Main program didn't have an error, all good. Did eventually get it working. Cwx still rarely work, errors about 4/5 times, but jhl works about 2/3rds the time so that's feasible

10. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

From the random repeatability of the problem, I guess this is due to a lack of affinity between CD-ROM drive and CD-R ?
    If you have the occasion, please try with CD-R from another brand. I don't guarantee this will improve something however.

11. razor85

razor85 New Member

Reposting from reddit:
    Hi there, I just got an Action Replay (4 in 1) with an old version of Pseudo Saturn on it. I was thinking on reflashing the thing to the original Action Replay firmware, since I wanted to have a way to backup my saves (I also have a modded Saturn and ST-Key). Do you guys know if I can use any version of the action replay (from the Kai restore disk) or I should use a specific one?

12. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

There's no real difference, expect regarding PC-link support. So if you don't plan to use PC-link then any flavor of Action Replay or Gameshark firmware should do the job :)

13. Sandman316

Sandman316 New Member

Hi, I currently have a Game Shark and getting a Erase verification failed error message when trying to flash the Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite firmware. Here is a snapshot of the details of the cart :

upload_2018-10-8_22-49-45.

Is there anyway to flash this cart ?
    When I reboot it goes into the GameShark menu like normal.
    Thanks,

14. cafe-alpha

cafe-alpha Member

Oh, it's around the first time I have report from somebody using Pseudo Saturn Kai Demo :)

Can you please take a picture of flasher utility screen, where flash ROM vendor/device IDs are displayed ? Theses IDs may give hint why flash ROM is not written correctly.
    And if possible, please post a picture of your Gameshark PCB : it is helpful to verify if flash ROM chips are supported by Pseudo Saturn Kai flash utility or not.

15. Sandman316

Sandman316 New Member

Thanks, found the DEMO after digging around a bit. It's very useful :)
    The vendor and device ID were detected as unknown. Here is a picture of the PCB :
    upload_2018-10-13_20-20-56.

After reading around, its seems to be a 1st gen Gameshark ( DATEL Ref 1110 board ... )