PS3?

this is somehting i found on game market watch

Regarding the Playstation 3, company representatives stated, "The PSone is about seven years old, and we expect a similar life cycle for the PS2. However, we'll begin serious development on the PlayStation 3 when developers start voicing dissatisfaction with the capabilities of the PS2."

Originally posted by googlefest1@Dec. 11 2002, 2:13 pm

this is somehting i found on game market watch

Regarding the Playstation 3, company representatives stated, "The PSone is about seven years old, and we expect a similar life cycle for the PS2. However, we'll begin serious development on the PlayStation 3 when developers start voicing dissatisfaction with the capabilities of the PS2."

Which they already have, before the PS2 even launched over here in America (Hideo Kojima is an example).

Originally posted by Cloud121@Dec. 10 2002, 10:51 pm

Which they already have, before the PS2 even launched over here in America (Hideo Kojima is an example).

Or the makers of the Oddworld franchise...

Obviously, Sony was talking about dissatisfaction on such a scale that they could no longer buy their silence with money/suppress them/ignore them/keep them from influencing the average Joe
tongue.gif

I don't think those are the exact specs, but they may be close, and some of the info appears to be accurate from what little I've read of the PS3. And for those wondering about the "cell" chip, it does exist. It's currently being developed by IBM, and, from what I've read about this new "cell" technology it may revolution computing (not just video games) as we know it.

The basic idea behind cell technology is almost exactly what the name implies.. groups of tiny processors all working together to perform a task. A good example of what this means is say, your playing a football game, you have 22 players on the field and every npc player has it's own unique AI controlled by it's own individual cpu. And atm I believe they're able to fit approx 20cpu's running at approx 1ghz a piece on a chip the size of a dime.

I really think it's gonna be neat.. I dunno about u guys, I do though, wish it was going to someone besides Sony. But I'll live with it, anyways, this new "cell" technology will probably become the standard for processors in all computers, so it probably won't be a Sony exclusive.

Mr. Moustache is right. The specs are off, but some of them are pretty close. Correct, the processor is being developed by IBM. With much work being done in Poughkeepsie, NY, last I knew. How do I know? Hmmm....maybe working for IBM for the past few years has something to do with it... maybe...

What I don't understand is, how some of you guys say specs like this are impossible. Yes, 98% of the ps3 specs listed are bull/exaggerated, but the specs are by far NOT impossible. Taelon, you said, and I quote, "All these specs are idiotic and ridiculous and nobody with any knowledge about computing technology can take these seriously. I know I can't." Well, I know you're probably applying these specs to being for the PS3, but what you said was "computing technology". That statement does not limit the specs to home machines. "Computing technology" includes just that, ALL computing technology. I spent the last 4 years of my life learning about and working with very high end technology, with large computers with 20 gigs of ram, multi-terabytes of storage, and numerous custom processors with 8-32+ megs of cache on chip. And I don't mean dual processor. I mean multi. 4,8,16, and it goes on and on. And yes, those specs are correct. The freaking add-on cards for the things were twice as long as my arm, and at least 10 inches wide.

Now yes, I realize super-large mainframe systems like this are not the topic of ps3, but realize that the technology for these systems has existed for years, it's nothing new. I do not see at ALL why 1 high-speed processor with multiple megs of cache similar to the ones I was working with, separate high-speed graphics processor that dwarfs many home main processors, a large amount of ram, high speed dvd-rom unit, large hard drive, network hardware, etc. can't fit into a ps2 sized box. Actually, it can. Now i'm not saying the originally listed specs are right, of course they're not. Of course anything listed on the net is mis-information. But you might be surprised how close it is when the machine finally debuts. Barring any changes made over the next year and a half or so, of course. Oh, and about 2 gig technology being "old" when the machine debuts, well, I didn't think the sub 300 mhz (294 I believe?) speeds of the ps2 were exactly "cutting-edge" when it was released, either. And remember, they're not limited to "home-spec" tech when they design their machines either. Saony, IBM, and others have access to many different technologies most people don't even know exists. Just because it doesn't exist in the home-pc world doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But oh well, i'm just a 26 year old college-educated guy who happened to work for IBM, and spent much of my time working in Poughkeepsie, NY. What do I know.

PS: This is not a flame post, just an informative one to let you guys know what technology is out there, and what I know. Sorry if any offense is taken, not was intended. And man, I write too much.

I think Taelon was refering to the ridiculous wording of some fo the "specs" - they just do not make any sense...

"2Kb internal bus provides a bandwidth of 48GBps" - ???

"1.2 & 2.6 gigapixels per second" - WTF?

Originally posted by Gear@Dec. 09 2002, 3:14 am

This is bullshit to keep people (non decided buyers) waiting for the new sony console instead of going to buy one of the existing non-sony ones. Remember what happened when dc was the only 128bit console in the market.

I like your theory Gear!
wink.gif

Just because it doesn't exist in the home-pc world doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Glad someone mentioned this. Also, Pentium and Athlon are not the front line in the battle to advance microprocessor technology. The engineering efforts for those chips are focused on one big thing: executing IA-32 (an extension of an extension of an extension of a programming model that's over 20 years old and wasn't particularly pretty when it came out) instructions. Any technological advance that doesn't contribute to that particular goal (MMX/SSE/3DNow! notwithstanding) isn't sitting in your CPU socket today. What is most likely sitting in your CPU socket is more or less an extensively pipelined RISC core with a hardware Pentium emulator wrapped around it.

Back