Preferred Shipper

I've had experiences with each one of these, and most have been bad. Let's start with the worst first.

Delta: A friend and I had some egyptian cobras and uracoan rattlesnakes shipped through delta. The package was supposed to be there by 6pm. Then that got delayed until 8pm. Then 11:30 pm. Then 2AM. After making numerous calls, and pretty much getting ready to leave the jacksonville airport without our package, really upset to say the least, because my friend had to be at work in ocala by about 7am. Anyway, the package came around 3:30 AM. This was so ridiculous, because delta sends out around 1 plane from atlanta to jacksonville every hour or two, and they were supposed to put them on a previous plane.

Fedex: Almost every single package I've got from fedex has been really late, by an average of 48 hours. In fact, I can't remember even one time when they were on time. This last shipment, they said my address was incorrect. So, I had to call them up, and it turned out they had the right address. So, I guess the local fedex office is just run by people that don't know what they're doing.

Also, fedex's customer service really sucks. I had to call them twice over a problem, and got transferred three times, and had to make two calls, and the cusomer service rep acted like it was such a waste of time dealing with me...

Airborne express has banned my address, because I had a shipment of ball pythons shipped to me from a miami wholesaler. He apparently didn't pack them well, and about 20 of them escaped into the airborne express facility. Keep in mind that airborne express does ship reptiles, if you're a certified reptile shipper through them, but when someone doesn't pack the packages well, they don't want to deal with them lol.

USPS: Probably the most unreliable. The prices seem to go up all of the time, sometimes packages are on time, other times, they're late. A lot of times, the package is damaged, even with the best of packing care. There have been a few items lost completely through them.

DHL: This company is definately making itself known in America now. This company was used to ship a lot of stuff to me from malaysia and china. In areas where they don't ship yet, they send out private contractors to deliver the items. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with them, but with the little I do, they have been great.

UPS: The old brown truck, I think is probably the most reliable. I've heard people complain about their service, but locally, I have had nothing but good experience with them. All packages are always on time, etc. So, I consider UPS the best and preferred method of shipping.

What does everyone else think?

For sending stuff outside of the US, it's got to be USPS.

For me Fed Ex has been great, but if you're talking anything larger than a Saturn mod board the cost doesn't make the speed of delivery worth it.

Originally posted by mal@Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 10:51 AM

For sending stuff outside of the US, it's got to be USPS.

For me Fed Ex has been great, but if you're talking anything larger than a Saturn mod board the cost doesn't make the speed of delivery worth it.

[post=124821]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree, FedEx is very expensive, but I've been very happy with them when forced to use their services.

I like USPS, because it is cheap, but very fast especially when going Priority Mail.

I never used any but USPS... never really had any problems, packages get there quick enough, the only problem we ever had was a few years back mail men here in my town were throwing bags of mail of the bridges and leaving the job for the day! not cool!

AirbornExpress -- IBM uses them for sending Thinkpads to and from and I've been quite happy with them when I needed them.

UPS -- been VERY unhappy with them. I've had a desktop PC trashed by them and hear various other horror stories.

FedEx -- been pretty happy with them. Get stuff from them with NewEgg and others. Seems to be snappier in getting stuff delivered compared with UPS.

USPS -- can be good, but can be bad. I've had some minor mixups, but nothing terrible.

USPS is great, IMHO. Same w/FedEx, and if you buy stuff from large companies, FedEx generally doesn't cost any more than UPS. The thing I like about USPS is that if I'm not there to receive something, I can just pick it up at the local post office rather than having to drive out to the boonies to get it. Also, as someone noted above, Priority Mail is very fast and inexpensive. They always deliver stuff the day it gets there, whereas both FedEx and UPS often won't deliver something early if it's in town -- they'll wait a day because they're not scheduled until then.

Airborne Express/DHL are pretty much the same company AFAIK. I've had horrible experiences with them - items damaged beyond belief (literally smashed to bits even when well packed).

edit - I should also add that EMS is very speedy with items from the Far East, although they can be kind of expensive... it's generally worth it because of the tracking and insurance they offer, though.

I'm a fan of UPS, they have very good tracking/pricing and are reliable, never had a problem..

Fedex is almost on the same level as UPS but I've use the above mentioned more often.

USPS while they usually get the package to it's destination, I have had lost packages and their tracking doesn't get updated for most of my things like UPS has...

When shipping, I usually use USPS. Never really had a problem. When ordering, I have used both Fed Ex and UPS. Both have done a good job. I once ordered a airport card for my laptop. Apple ships them from Taiwan. I ordered it 3-5 days. I got it in 2. And I don't even live on the coast.

USPS delivers to my country, is cheap, and doesn't charge me import taxes like fedex/ups... but I have to wait around one month to receive the packages.

USPS - Hate them, even though my wife's grandma is a postmaster. Every town I've been to (in MN) they're complete assholes, I have had to ask for a manager more then once. Half the time I ask for services they offer, but the current desk person is incompetent and fights with me until a manager comes and says "yeah, we offer that." (overseas shipping).

UPS - Hate them as well, always beat up my packages and arrives a day or two after scheduled delivery.

Fedex - love them, snappy delivery, more often then not they arrive a day early, much nicer to my packages then UPS.

Don't really have any experience with the others.

When I started this poll, I liked UPS, but now I'm not so sure. Read on:

A Power Supply had to be special ordered, and it was shipped via UPS on May 30th, and was suppose to arrive on June 2nd.

The first problem was with the shipper and UPS. I was told that the power supply would be shipped standard mail, and gave a PO box address. The next problem was that UPS accepted the package, even though it had a po box.

So, after tracking the package, UPS couldn't find the address, and I had the seller do an address correction, and he insisted that it was his fault for the mixup.

Several more days go by, and UPS can't find the physical address. Another day goes by, and I personally watch the UPS truck go next door, and then not even stop at my address. The next day, it happened again, twice. So, the UPS was spotted going past my address three times in two days, with no slowdown, stopping or any thing.

Then, on June 8th, I track the package again and find out that it was shipped the day before to the wrong address and wrong city completely.

I use to tell every one "if you're going to ship through a courier service other than USPS, then ship UPS," and this was the first problem I've ever experienced with them. Fedex was always the one that messed every thing up before, but I'm begining to think that none of the courier services are worth a damn any more.

I think it depends on the area. For instance it was the opposite with me, Fedex was excellent and UPS was always crappy. The only one that is consistent is the postal service, and not in a good way.

Now, yet another complaint. I am really starting to get pissed off at how blind some of these companies are to rural areas. Had a server shipped via fedex, and it was suppose to arrive today. Been home all day, waiting on it, and it got a "delivery exception - can't locate address" big surprise there, as the last 3 or so shipments that came via fedex have all been about the same and the famous "Delivery attempt made when no one was there" lies lies lies......

There hasn't even been a fedex truck on the same road I live on, but guess what! Those stupid mother fuckers drive down this road every other day, when they don't have stops to make.

So, I call up fedex, and they write down the directions, and

we go through the hooplah and complaints, and then they say it'll be delivered on tuesday. We'll see, but last time, it took over a month to get some thing that should have taken about 3 days.

Fedex is a pain in my ass and a waste of my time. God forbid some one who uses them to send emergency medical supplies and they pull this bullshit and end up killing some one.

If it were up to me, I would not use fedex, but too many sellers have either chosen 1 shipper or have contracted with one and won't send other methods.

I'd go with USPS. I usually don't like to ship with UPS... I can't run the risk of having my package stepped on, stacked on bottom with heavier boxes on top , or thrown against walls.

Back