Nintendo Trying to rip off PAL customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, don't get me wrong here, I think Nintendo have done GREAT with their price point and everything on the PAL launch, BUT one thing troubles me....

Browsing through the Cubes manual it says that an RGB scart cable is needed for 60Hz gaming...... I thought nothing of this and will pick up an RGB cable with my next paycheck anyways.....

The Super Monkey Ball manual agrees with this statement saying:

"This game can be set to a dearer display and better quality on TVs that support 60Hz mode. When you connect NINTENDO GAMECUBE RGB Cable to a TV which has RGB terminal an PAL60 function, you can enjoy smoother game screen with less flickers." (Spelling mistakes and grammar from the manual, not myself)

All sounds hunky-dory..... BUT I held down the B button while the system started up and I got that 60Hz option on my component cable! Are Nintendo and Sega puropsefully deciving us or is this just some huge mistake?

It's probably just a typo, or it didn't occur to whoever wrote it to consider PAL users wanting component, since RGB is just as good (or possibly very slightly better depending on the equipment) and is widely available in the PAL world. I'm sure that their "include one controller with the system, then advertise Super Smash Brothers Melee" strategy has them pretty well covered for short-term accessory revenue. :biggrin:

I think they're just covering their backs - not all TVs will accept 60Hz in any form other than RGB. I can use 60Hz composite with no probs and just the bundled cable here.

I believe there is a standard called pal 60. Old TVs cant handle it but most things can. I think they might be covering themselves in case some idiot hooks it up to a 20 year old taktung tv and it explodes trying to cope with 60 hz :) (overstatement)

Quote: from ExCyber on 1:32 am on May 4, 2002
It's probably just a typo, or it didn't occur to whoever wrote it to consider PAL users wanting component

i think he actually meant to say composite, not component, since its a composite lead that comes with the gc
it works fine over the composite lead here too (im not about to pay the £25 they want for a rgb lead here, and those are the only ones ive seen as yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back