New PS2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jul 14, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

Yeah, that's why I put the (entirely?) in there. Apparently they're not going to have any PS2 hardware in the PS3. Since they're dealing with expensive hardware, they have to save wherever possible. I mean, the RAM alone for the new machine is probably going to be pretty expensive.

Sony has been lately hiring many people experienced in emulation because of the following -

1. The PSP devkit runs on standard PCs, and emulate the PSP hardware itself.

2. The PlayStation3 will emulate the PlayStation2 for backwards compatibility.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jul 14, 2004 @ 05:26 PM

Sony has been lately hiring many people experienced in emulation because of the following -

1. The PSP devkit runs on standard PCs, and emulate the PSP hardware itself.

2. The PlayStation3 will emulate the PlayStation2 for backwards compatibility.

so somebody could potentially leak this PSP emulator?

Or is there tight security (hardware dongle) on it?

If it got released, it would = the end of Sony handhelds. They'de have to pull sumthin out of their ass to do real good.

A hardware dongle isn't terribly tight security, unless the dongle actually contains the emulator + CPU and the attached PC is only used for I/O.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 14, 2004 @ 05:52 PM

A hardware dongle isn't terribly tight security, unless the dongle actually contains the emulator + CPU and the attached PC is only used for I/O.

why? are they easy to fake?

Man would that be funny if it was leaked.

As for backwards compatability, the X-box 2 sounds iffy on support. If it does support, it will be software emulation.

Dongles aren't necessarily easy to fake, but they are not necessarily harder to crack than any other kind of protection unless they actually perform some kind of processing for the program. The main added difficulty is that the person doing the crack has to have access to the dongle, in much the same way that a cracker might need an original disk of a copy-protected program.

if it was remotely easy to use, it would spread like wildfire

although you'd also need to copy the games to the PC and they are on propietary media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back