Model 1 vs model 2

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 19, 2003 @ 02:37 PM

If I recall correctly, you have to burn in DAO instead of TAO, unlike most Sega CD games.

I don't know where you got the idea that you are supposed to burn Sega CD games in TAO, but I've burned all my discs in DAO, and I believe the general consensus is that DAO is the way to go.

Also, if I remember correctly, the model 2 has the compatibility issues- Terminator, Jurassic Park, and some other game will not play on the model 2 (or the CDX).

A burn of Terminator of mine had a few freezing issues when it came to FMV on my model 2. The original works fine though. Can't say I've had any problems with JP, though.
blink.gif

Originally posted by King M@May 20, 2003 @ 12:32 PM

Hmm, I must be remembering something wrong. I'll try to find the article I am thinking of.

Why do you think you're wrong. I've heard that too, and I burn all of my SegaCDs in DAO. I've never had any issues with burns if I'm burning from a good source.

<edit> oh sorry, I just noticed you are speaking about Terminator
blush.gif

Originally posted by Curtis@May 20, 2003 @ 11:25 AM

A burn of Terminator of mine had a few freezing issues when it came to FMV on my model 2. The original works fine though. Can't say I've had any problems with JP, though.
blink.gif

Bad copy more than likely. I say this having played the game myself for a couple of hours on my Model 2 SCD, the videos had no problems playing whatsoever.

I always burn in DAO, never had any issues. Also, usually issues with Lunar 1 and model 2 SCDs are caused by the method of ripping, from what I've gathered. Meaning, yes, an emulator or a model 1 SCD might play the same burn that freezes on a model 2, but no the model 2 is not incompatible with this game. I made a Nero image, and tested both it and the original, and they work great. Tindo and derFunkenstein can both verify my image works. So, if an original doesn't work, then you've got issues. Otherwise, its probably not the SCD that is at fault.

BTW, the Lunar I played (and beat) was an original. It never froze, crashed or hanged on my model 2. It also player Jurassic Park perfectly (again an original, from the time when I could still find SCD games fo rent).

Maybe it is indeed a matter of how the ripping is done. I have a burn of Lunar SS that hangs on my CDX when Ramus appears. It get's past the logo just fine, and I'm sure the problem is due a few extra gaps between some audio tracks that shouldn't be there (I noticed that after burning the game, but I haven't burned it again).

Jurassic Park is supposed to have longer load times on a CDX: the game is not "incompatible".

I actually seem to like the look and feel of the Model 2 although I love my Model 1,

I like the Hatch Door CD tray.

Feels like the door in the Delorean from Back to the Future.

laugh.gif

Whoever has a Model 2, do this.

Press the Open button and make this sound *PSSHHW*

HAHAHA.

I prefer Mk1, just looks nicer, and its front loading. Although I am after both...

Some day, some day I'll own every SEGA console...

Model one is the way to go if you have the cash for it. If you just want to play though, go with model 2. I'd love to own both Sega cd models 1 and 2 to each attach to my genesis 1 and 2, respectively. The Genesis model 3 I own doesn't attack to SCD but would look hilarious with a 32x on top of it.

Damn I need to make some good $$$ to get everything I want.

---Ammut

Model 2 looks like a games console. Whereas model 1 looks more professional. That's how I look at it.

The technical differences make such little difference it's not worth mentioning.

Like front-loaders? Get a model 1.

Back