Mod Chips

I don't know if there's anything against talking about mod chips on the forum, but if there is I'm sorry in advance.

I'm thinking about hard modding both my Xbox and PSTwo slimline because I don't like the idea of carrying around my originals, especially if they are my PSX games (like SoTN). I wan t to use solderless mods because I am not comfortable using a soldering iron. Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of mod chips I should get? Thanks!

I don't have much to say in the way of mod chips, but I would suggest getting HDloader, a hard drive, and an 'old style' ps2. Not only are all of your games stored on the hard drive for easier travel, but it cuts down on load times aswell :)

Hmm.. that's an idea... does hd loader do psx as well as ps2 backups? Also, how big a hdd can you get for the ps2?

the no-solder solution for the xbox sucks. Don't waste yer money. If you get it to work it'll just pop out of place soon enough

The Xenium no solder for the XBOX works just fine in my opinion as long as you aren't using the 1.6 version (newest version XBOX). The 1.6 uses the spring board on chip style no solder technique and the pop out real easy. All the the other version can use the spring mount board and works great! Xenium is also the chip I'd recommend as its very user friendly unlike most of the others. Also stay away from 1.1 versions, the DVD rom on them SUCK.

As for PSX games, well if its a PSX the boot disc is the best for easy modding.

If you want the PS2 modded definately go older PS2 and not the slim one. Be very careful choosing a chip first off. Team DMS is really reliable. Stay far away from anything that needs boot discs or slide cards. And I would advise having it done by someone who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Team DMS has a fully functional (has all features that you can dream of) solderless chip. But it still is a pain to install. Here it is though, and its REALLY pricey

good thing is HDDloader works right off the HDD too. Seriousily though, go to someone who knows what they are doing and just get the DMS4 chip. I know what I'm doing and have modded a few of these and no longer will, its just not worth my time without charging a price people don't like.

I've been pleased with my xecuter 2.2 pro modchipfor my xbox... I did the solder version. It's not like soldering a modchip in an xbox is actually hard like a ps2 is.

seriosily, most of them are place down and drip 6 points of solder. Except on those damn version 1.6's... that D0 point pisses me off HARDCORE!

the D0 on the 1.6 is really hard... only on the 1.6 though. I've never had a problem with any other version or solder point.

I have got my older model ps2 soft modded with a 120Gb HDD in it. When i want to play imports i have to pull the HDD out of the ps2 and copy the games across using the pc. Load times rule

Back