Help!!! Sega Saturn Modchip, installation in a Japanese white Saturn!!!!

Hello my name is Matías, I´m from Argentina and I´m new here at this forum. I have a white japanese model 2 Saturn. Last week I bought a sega saturn modchip and sucsesfully installed it. But the problem is that the saturn runs only original games and not run backups ...

The laser it´s not the problem because It´s new (I changed it last week too).

The backups are ok too (I made a copy with alcohol 120% of one of my japanese original games and nothing ...).

There are some pictures from the chip:

user_2199_moddelante.jpg

user_2199_moddetras.jpg

The are some pictures from my system before installing the chip:

user_2199_satjap1.jpg
user_2199_satjap2.jpg
user_2199_satjap3.jpg

Pd: Sorry for my english.

Before calling any problems to the modchip, I actually want to say you shouldn't dismiss the backup itself.

Personally I've never been able to make a working Saturn game backup using Alcohol 120%, similar issues such as yours recently also often pointed to this same problem -- simply using a different program to create the backup fixed the issue.

While I haven't personally tried this (I haven't made a backup in years, no other reason), I have recommended using ImgBurn to create the backups -- the other threads I've mentioned have reported success using it compared to Alcohol 120%.

You can find it at imgburn.com, it's freeware -- by the same person that used to develop DVD Decrypter.

Thank you dibz, I tried ImgBurn, but I have the same problem ...

I think that I have to modify something soldering into the chip, to make the chip running in a japanese saturn.

Someone who knows this chip?

Dont some mod chips require you to connect a wire somewhere? Personally I use Alcohol 120% to burn things but yes tons of problems with it. I do not know how true this is but I heard it adds a second or two before the audio tracks, causing problems with some games. With any software and burner burn at a low speed. Most peopel recommend at 1x or 2x but I say anything 16x or lower and you are fine. Since 16x is the last true burning speed or whatever.

Amon said:
Dont some mod chips require you to connect a wire somewhere
That, and some have two different "modes" that are controlled by jumper points (apparently intended to be connected/disconnected with solder bridges). I don't know what the difference is.

The problem is not the backup. It´s like excyber said, I need to modify the chip to run in Japanese mode. Someone who knows this chip?

Thank you, that post is very good, but the problem is that the modchip model I have is very different from the racketboy´s one (see the pictures), then I don´t know where the jumpers are or what I have to solder. Nobody have this chip?.

Wow, that's a new one! I've honestly never seen a chip like that one before.

Just curious, do you have the link of the place you got it from?

Page 2 of dj898's link gives a good rundown of modchip problem symptoms to check against, the cubes in the bios can be especially telling.

Some other stuff to try (longshots, but hey) would be flipping the ribbon cables, and checking to make sure the chip isn't running hot (if it is, then it's done for).

The closest info I could find matching your setup would be here: http://home.clara.net/robwebb/shop/saturn/saturnchipguide_2.htm

The chip isn't the same, but the cd block looks like it matches yours and I hope it gives you an idea of what to look for.

Good luck & be sure to let us know how this works out.

Back