Has anyone played FF: Crystal Chronicles yet?

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Feb 21, 2004 @ 11:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Feb 21, 2004 @ 11:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud@Feb 21, 2004 @ 02:43 AM

Has anyone played it? Is it any good? From what I've seen so far it looks like :puke:

You suck. It owns. [/b][/quote]

bah, it's not even a real ff game

Maybe the next crash bandicoot game can be called grand theft auto: sons of liberty.

I just don't believe that someone should have to spend:

$99 for a GC

$50 for FF:CC

$99 for a GBA (if you want the lit up screen)

$XX on the cable

just to play the game multiplayer, AND your friends have to have the cables/GBAs. thats really lame.

I will never play it because I don't own a GBA, and I even if I did (i want one) I don't know 3 other people with GBAs.

edit: just to clarify, I'm sure its a great game, I just think the fact that you have to spend money on a completely different console and hookups just to play it the way it's MEANT to be played, is really lame.

The whole multiplayer thing is quite bad. All the Wal-Mart stores around here are including a free GBA link cable with each copy of the game.

Everyone doesn't need a GBA+link to play multiplayer right? You can have 4 ppl w/ 4 controllers and everything would be cool right? About not even being a real FF game.......that's prob. more of a good thing than a bad thing. Might actually mean the game has a decent story and isn't just a tedious boring POS rpg. Of course a few FF games are pretty cool, all but about 3 of em blow. FF7, FF3, and I think it was FF5 or 6 in Japan...the more medievil, that one was fun too.

Ok, enuf of my rant.....

Hey FF1 was awesome too, and 9 was decent. Although the best, IMHO, is still Final Fantasy Tactics. ;)

But as for the 4-player thing, apparently you need the GBAs so that each player will get their own information or something. Not sure if it will work w/4 controllers or not. Although I must say if I had that many GBAs the game I'd be playing would be Pac-Man Vs...

Originally posted by NR Pickle@Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:41 PM

bah, it's not even a real ff game

Maybe the next crash bandicoot game can be called grand theft auto: sons of liberty.

Neither is Final Fantasy Tactics, but it has Chocobos and Moogles... and the same class classifications, and the same general art...

PUNJABEE: How many people are actually going to fucking NEED to spend that much all at once to play FF:CC multiplayer? Everyone who's bitching and whining about the pricing just happens to be Anti-Nintendo to begin with, to the extent that they're some of the few who don't ALREADY OWN GBA'S. News flash: GBA-SP is outselling PS2.

It took me all of oh... zero effort to get four player FF:CC going.

Hell, over at Bryan's house, we had SIX GBA's and FIVE CABLES, because one person brought their GBA without realising Bryan has two (he has two or three brothers).

Oh my, how utterly horrifying and money-sharking... YOU'RE the lame one for overstating things dramatically.

I only have a Gameboy Player... That would be pretty cool to play the game with five gamecubes, four with gameboy players, hooked together and on five tvs. Instead of using GBAs.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Feb 24, 2004 @ 09:59 PM

I only have a Gameboy Player... That would be pretty cool to play the game with five gamecubes, four with gameboy players, hooked together and on five tvs. Instead of using GBAs.

Wow, what a marvelous waste of space! Considering that the GBA screen is only used for some minor menus and a radar for each player (and each gets a different radar, which really encourages teamwork).

And besides, WHAT'S THE POINT? I thought the complaint was about PRICE? Now you're bringing in four additional TV's, four additional GameCubes PLUS Game Boy Players... you still need the GameCube -> Game Boy Advance cables etc.

Basically you're raising the price of each "GBA" by about ~$99 (GC) + ~$400 (decent TV).

And tripling your electric bill, while you're at it...

Shitface: I get hostile about this because I'm just so fed up with everyone hammering Nintendo at every chance they get, predicting N's doom, saying they'll go the SEGA route... saying that everything they've done this gen has been utter garbage... and so on, and so on...

Tangrineth,

I'm in no way Anti-Nintendo. I love the big N, and I love my Gamecube to death. And I do want a GBA, but I cant afford it at the moment.

I didnt say it took effort to get a game going at all, its just that in order for ME to play this game, I would have to buy the game which is $50, and apparently it includes a link cable, so thats free, but then I have to buy a GBA SP (im not playin no gba with out a backlight) which is another $100, and just to get the full experience, I have to find 3 other friends that are into RPGs like me, have GBASPs and link cables, AND that want to spend more than 4 hours at my house every time I want to play it.

To me that's lame. It might be a great game, and Im sure it is, especially with the multiplayer thing, im sure it rocks.. but GETTING to that point, takes money, time and other people that are willing to spend lots of time in front of MY TV. And thats not to mention the fact that they might have lives, as I do and/or wives that don't really want to watch 4 geeks playing Final Fantasy "We Should have made it online multiplayer" Crystal Chronicles for 4 hours a night.

honestly, I don't think this game will sell very well, even considering it might be a great game.

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:19 PM

I just don't believe that someone should have to spend:

$99 for a GC

$50 for FF:CC

$99 for a GBA (if you want the lit up screen)

$XX on the cable

just to play the game multiplayer, AND your friends have to have the cables/GBAs. thats really lame.

Are you claiming that it's unfair for someone to have to buy the system that the game is on? :blink: That hardly seems like a fair accusation to make of a game.

Furthermore, you don't have to pay the full $50 for the game if you don't want it now. You can buy it used, or wait for its price to be lowered.

Finding a GBA really shouldn't be a problem. According to most sales figures, there are about five GBAs out there for every Gamecube. I personally know about eight people who own GBAs, or who have brothers with one. And I'm hardly popular.

Lastly, the GBA-GC cords are not that expensive. As an earlier post mentions, many stores are giving them away with the purchase of the game. Otherwise, they'll run you about $10-15, assuming you'll be paying for your friends. This really isn't that bad. Traditionally, the cost of multiplayer has simply been the cost of additional controllers, and the cheapest you can buy a new GC controller is $20, $25 if you want the newer colors, and $35 if you want the wireless. :sarcasm:

In another multiplayer RPG comparison, Sega charges $10 a month for online PSO play. Comparatively, FF:CC charges relatively little for what (I hear) is a very enjoyable multiplayer experience.

In closing, I leave you with this comic. :p

FF:CC isnt "on" the GBA. its "ON" the Gamecube, and the Gamecube comes with one of these really cool little things we call CONTROLLERS, so there should be no reason for me to buy a $100 controller, in order to play the MULTIPLAYER version of this game. I shouldn't have to buy a SEPERATE (read: another) console to play a game that is on the GC. I have a Gamecube... funny, I havent seen any one of my supposed FIVE GBAs around my house... have you seen them? I could really use one. Sales figures my ass.

What's next, having to buy the PS3 so I can play True Fantasy Online for the Xbox? I'm glad you know some people with GBAs. Thats great, and I really don't care.

Also, can you please read before you start hurling out anemic attempts at sarcasm?

Let's just cool it down a bit, OK?

Disagree all you like, but there's no need to get personal.

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Feb 25, 2004 @ 12:15 AM

FF:CC isnt "on" the GBA. its "ON" the Gamecube, and the Gamecube comes with one of these really cool little things we call CONTROLLERS, so there should be no reason for me to buy a $100 controller, in order to play the MULTIPLAYER version of this game. I shouldn't have to buy a SEPERATE (read: another) console to play a game that is on the GC. I have a Gamecube... funny, I havent seen any one of my supposed FIVE GBAs around my house... have you seen them? I could really use one. Sales figures my ass.

I wasn't referring to your inclusion of the GBA in that list, but the inclusion of the Gamecube. I didn't think it was fair to claim that a game was unfairly forcing you to purchase the system that it's on in order to play it.

Square was not planning on forcing you to buy a GBA in making a GBA necessary for multiplayer. They merely assumed that a person who owned a Gamecube would most likely be a Nintendo fan, and would likely be a owner of a GBA. As you said yourself, you already want a GBA. It's a mistake to see this game as unfairly requiring you to buy one, but only a new gameplay option offered by its purchase.

I mean, once you have your GBA, you should have nothing to hold against the game, right?

And the sales figures were not meant to imply that every Gamecube owner has five GBAs, but that there were five GBAs purchased for every Gamecube. The point is, you should be able to find a lot of people with GBAs. A couple of my friends have two. And of course, the multiplayer doesn't have to be played with four people. At the very least, you should be able to find one person with a GBA.

And I didn't mean for you to take my previous post as a personal attack on you. I'm sorry you took it that way. :sigh

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Feb 24, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

Wow, what a marvelous waste of space! Considering that the GBA screen is only used for some minor menus and a radar for each player (and each gets a different radar, which really encourages teamwork).

And besides, WHAT'S THE POINT? I thought the complaint was about PRICE? Now you're bringing in four additional TV's, four additional GameCubes PLUS Game Boy Players... you still need the GameCube -> Game Boy Advance cables etc.

Basically you're raising the price of each "GBA" by about ~$99 (GC) + ~$400 (decent TV).

And tripling your electric bill, while you're at it...

I wasn't the one complaining about the price, I was questioning the quality of the game, in the original post.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan (who else here has a Nintendo character in their avatar?).

My barfing emoticon was directed at Square-Enix, not at Nintendo. When Square and Nintendo made the deal to make games together, I believe Nintendo INSISTED that they make 1 gamecube game for every 4 gameboy advance games or something like that. So instead of making Final Fantasy XI or XII, or even a fricking remake of FF VII, they churn up this 'Crystal Chronicles' thing that makes you play with other people. Now I've got this game (which I don't yet, this is all hypothetical now) and I can't play with my friends, because they only have Xboxs with like two different games between them, there's the kid down the street that is a huge RPG fan like me, but he's always hitting on my sister, so I can't have him running around my house ejaculating all over the place while I'm taking a snack break. It's just inconvenient, Square should have made a game that doesn't force you to play with other people to get the full experience, and it pisses me off that they use Nintendo as a test dummy for projects that are obviously going to suck.

Back