Good assembler for Genesis?

Hello,

I've already made some ROMs for NES,SNES and SMS, and would like to do something for Genesis. I use WLA for SMS and SNES, and I suppose it also works for Genesis. But, do you guys recomend another assembler for Genesis??

Thanks

C works well considering speed??

In SNES, for example, coding in ASM is a must, since code would be too slow if compiling instead of coding directly in ASM.

I'm new in Genesis. Can you make good code in C?

The SNES CPU architecture is really not well-suited for C (few registers and not orthogonal at all), and is somewhat slow as well. I wouldn't try to write a Gunstar Heroes killer in C, but Genesis can handle less intensive stuff in C pretty reasonably.

I think Vectorman used C (read about it in an interview with the devs) so you can definetaly put together some extreme games with it on the Megadrive.

That's great. C code is faster to write and easier to debug.

Any compiler in particular recomended for Genesis?

I heard of SGCC and GCC.

I heard SGCC is easier to use, but has bugs?

Go with XGCC, especially if you've done some C before. It will save you some headaches later. I think SGCC is a bit easier to start with if you haven't done a lot of C, but once you have the bugs and limitations will drive you nuts.

Go with XGCC :>.

Originally posted by patroclus02@Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 10:51 PM

That's great. C code is faster to write and easier to debug.

Any compiler in particular recomended for Genesis?

I heard of SGCC and GCC.

I heard SGCC is easier to use, but has bugs?

[post=144228]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, it's very good ;)

for proof, look at my works, everything was done in C

it's not Gunstar Heroes' killer but I think enought for homebrew demos

Personally I prefer GCC, since I also use it for many other processors, which makes it easy to go from one machine to another.

Originally posted by patroclus02@Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 03:41 AM

I've already made some ROMs for NES,SNES and SMS, and would like to do something for Genesis. I use WLA for SMS and SNES, and I suppose it also works for Genesis. But, do you guys recomend another assembler for Genesis??

WLA-DX does not work on the Genesis. SNASM68K is probably the best assembler for the Genesis. The GNU assembler also works nicely for the 68000.

I would recommend using NeoDev, instead of XGCC. XGCC has some problems running under Windows XP.

For information about using NeoDev, check:

http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/SegaCDSrc.html

More can be found at:

http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/

Originally posted by patroclus02@Wed, 2006-02-08 @ 11:28 AM

C works well considering speed??

In SNES, for example, coding in ASM is a must, since code would be too slow if compiling instead of coding directly in ASM.

I'm new in Genesis. Can you make good code in C?

Making the entire game in C would probably make it slow. But, if the main routines are in (optimized) assembly there wouldn't be a big difference.

The big advantage from C comes from handing user input and game logic. These would require large, hard to maintain routines in assembly.

From personal experience, it was easier to remain motivated to finish a game, if most of it was in C. Another advantage is that the entire game logic easily moves to another system, if properly written. My game runs on at least 10 diffent gaming systems, from the same source code. All I have to write is the underlying routines, and the game starts working. Once the game starts showing something, I'm motivated to get it finished.

Hi.

Is there any more information on xgcc problems under windows xp ?

Why does as segfault.

Does it exist another m68k compiler, assembler and linker under windows xp ?

Thanks a lot.

Back