DARXIDE!!!

And that is why I have a flash cart. No way am I going to spend as much as a CAR on a video game.
auto.gif

Long odds for certain. And for only a thousands pounds! What a steal!!
laugh.gif

Well, if someone is collecting, that's a REAL collector's item.

18 months, 36 months, bah still rare as my wife's steak.

Actually it looks like a couple months after the one 18 months ago, there was an unlisted (in title) darxide up inside a lot of megadrive games on e-bay, found this thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12809.html

It might have been 5 years before that to get to the next recent wave of darxides. I can't find any other references inbetwen 2003 and 2010 for darxide appearing on e-bay.

Oh wait, looks like one in 2005, one in 2007

Ok so we got 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010 (x2), 2011 (x2)

Probably around 1 every 18 months on average. Some might be on uk only e-bay. If they don't offer international shipping they don't show up on my searches.

I still think it's a terrible game.

In the emulator

I was going to try to get one back in the 2000-2005 era. Back then it was only going for like 400-700$. I figured I'd better actually see if it's any good before I buy it.

Take star wars arcade 32x. Strip out all the levels except the asteroid field levels. Texture map the asteroids. Remove 9/10ths of the tie fighters and all star destroyers. Make it actually *more difficult* to meneuver and impossible to aim. Then you'll have Darxide.

It's only claim to fame besides rarity is that it's the only fully texturemapped 3D game, a sort of proof of what the 32x was capable of if it hadn't been murdered young by SoJ.

Kind of like panorama cotton for the megadrive or eternal champions for the sega CD. Only those games are good.

I've played it on real hardware - just change the region code from "A" to either "U" (US) or "F" (world) before you add it to the games on your flash cart. Many people misunderstand the game - it's not Asteroids or X-Wing/Tie Fighter or Star Wars, it's Maelstrom. If you have played Maelstrom before, you'd recognize it right off. I like Maelstrom quite a bit, so I also like DarXide; people who aren't fans of Maelstrom probably won't like DarXide.

I remember Maelstrom on the Mac back in the early 90's. It was quite addictive. They had a competition going for the highest scoes but of course it was ruined by hackers.

Kuta said:
I remember Maelstrom on the Mac back in the early 90's. It was quite addictive. They had a competition going for the highest scoes but of course it was ruined by hackers.

Yeah, I played the old Mac version first as well, but did it on the Amiga using an emulator I worked on at the time (MAC68K for the EMPLANT). It was one of several games we used for testing, so I got to play it a lot.
biggrin.gif

I have a original copy of Darxide but it is not for sale since i dont need money actually.
It costs me about 15 euro. In fact it was 2500 ptas since i bought it in 1997. I never payed in my life more than 60 euros for a game.
i was very surprised when i saw the price of this game thats insane but honestly a dobout that any one would pay that.

Back