CD-ROM questions

I have yet to get myself a PcEngine, but I already have some questions.

The Super CD-Rom2-unit is the only add on I'll need to play all games, except the ones for SuperGrafx?

Also, what are the differences between Core Grafx and Core Grafx II? And how do they differ from the standard (white) PcEngine, I've read about AV-outputs, but besides that... nothing? And the AV-outs, what exactly does it mean, regular scart, rgb, what?

And what about the Super CD-Rom2 is there only one version, that grey one were you merge it with the engine by sticking the console into the CD-unit? Was hoping there was a version looking like the first white CD-Rom2.

Edit: More questions

Originally posted by Twillinx@Mon, 2005-03-21 @ 11:09 AM

I have yet to get myself a PcEngine, but I already have some questions.

The Super CD-Rom2-unit is the only add on I'll need to play all games, except the ones for SuperGrafx?

Yes, except for Arcade Card games.

Golden Axe (a CD-ROM2 game) requires the original System Card v1.00 instead of the Super System Card v3.00 that is built-in to the Super CD-ROM2 unit, so it won't work. But you can buy an earlier card type from eBay, they pop up often enough. I think this is the only game that's tied to a specific card type.

Also, what are the differences between Core Grafx and Core Grafx II? And how do they differ from the standard (white) PcEngine, I've read about AV-outputs, but besides that... nothing? And the AV-outs, what exactly does it mean, regular scart, rgb, what?

The CoreGrafx II matches the color scheme and design of the Super CD-ROM2 unit, so I think it was released just to revitalize the PC-Engine hardware market at that time. I don't think there are any differences between it and the CoreGrafx other than their appearance.

The Core Grafx II, SuperGrafx, and Super CD-ROM2 consoles have a 8-pin DIN plug that outputs composite video, though you need a special cable. The PC-Engine has RF output only, the IFU-30 (CD interface tray thing) has composite video through standard RCA jacks.

Notice that the console's video signals come out of the expansion bus on the back as well as whatever video connector they normally have. That's why you can (for example) get composite video out of the PC-Engine even though it natively has RF video, if it's plugged in to the IFU-30 or Super CD-ROM2 unit.

And what about the Super CD-Rom2 is there only one version, that grey one were you merge it with the engine by sticking the console into the CD-unit? Was hoping there was a version looking like the first white CD-Rom2.

Yes, that's the only version there is.

Back