cd drive problem

Ok, I have a cd rom drive on my computer. Or at least i used too. Well, i do, but the computer isn't picking it up. Same with the burner (the drive, i thin it was a hl-dcd-ge85r/rw) or something. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Nothing picks it up if i put a cd in or something, and it reads the disk just fine. It was working a few hours ago.

Thanks,

- genisus man

Well my first question is do the drives show up in my computer and secondly are they both on the same IDE cable?

If they dont show up in my computer then its possible that the IDE cable has somehow worked itself slightly loose.

Open up the comp and make sure all your connections are connected firmly (you need the IDE cable and the power connector. the IDE cable is the wide one and the power is the little 4-prong one).

Also hit the eject button on both drives, if the tray opens its safe to say they are getting power.

As stated earlier check he wide gray cable coming out from both of the drives. Push it in on both of them then follow it to the mother board and give it a little push there also.

To me it seems odd for a cable to just come loose unless you have moved your PC around recently, but none the less it is possible.

You could also try seeing if the drives show up in the bios, if they do then check device manager and see if they show a yellow exclamaton point next to them. If so then somehow the drivers got messed up.

Have you installed/uninstalled any software.

Back