Afterburner Climax

We went to the new Brunswick Zone XL and they had to move us to a different lane during our game, so they gave us 6 free games and 10$ each in arcade credit.

So to my surprise, there was a new Afterburner game - Afterburner Climax.

Despite the PS2 quality graphics, the gameplay and controls was very faithful to the originals. I'd played Afterburner on NES, Genesis, SegaCD, and 32X quite a bit, so I picked it up real quick.

I actually beat the game on my first try, using only 2 extra continues. I'd never actually beat an arcade game before, much less how rarely I can beat a console game without cheats, so I was happy. I got on the top scores list, I think #7.

The big gameplay addition is that you have a climax meter, and occasionally when you target enemies to launch missles, you can trigger a climax, and then you can target and lock-on to as many enemies as you can in like 5 seconds, and then you'll launch a big barrage that destroys all of the targetted enemies at once.

The other addition was multiple paths at a couple levels, and one level lets you fly inside of a mountain.

Rolling still works the same. And down+right+afterburner still works sometimes to avoid missles, but not always. Also, you can take damage, so you're not necessarily downed by one hit.

Of course the motion force feedback seat enhances the experience.

It's also nice to see that Sega can still make true old-school arcade style games that are fun, and that it is possible to have 3rd person flying camera that doesn't destroy the game (like it does with about every other game).

The game looks really good and i like to see that Sega reuse their old licences for the Arcade game (outrun for instance). Let's hope they continue on that way. I didn't play for a long time on arcade games :( . This one would be worth to play it.

It's strange they did a so easy game, how many time did you need to finish it ?

I just played once through, using 2 continues, to complete it.

I read some on-line reviews of the game, and some talked about how the roll-maneuver is useless in all the afterburner games.

However, I disagree. While it is true that in the NES version, I'd often pull the roll accidentally when I didn't want to, and roll into a missle, not so in the new arcade. And I find the roll to be useful in many occasions to get out of the way of missles. It actually worked quite well as a defense to avoid missles, more so than in previous incarnations.

Eswat said:
I think(hope) it's being ported to 360.

IGN listed a 360 port for this, but, as it's still "TBA", with no year listed, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into that.

This game deserves a home port every bit as much as Outrun 2002, and that game got one.

Back